With the recent Windows 11 Insider 22518 version, Microsoft introduced some new changes such as the Spotlight desktop wallpaper and a new accessibility feature called Voice access. Besides, the Redmond giant has also adjusted the way you access widgets. After this, you will see a weather icon on the taskbar, like News . widget of Windows 10. However, this implementation is quite annoying, and the widget page is automatically activated when you hover your mouse over the weather icon. If you are not interested in tracking the weather right from the taskbar or simply want to remove it, here is how to disable the weather widget on Windows 11.
How to turn off the weather widget on the Windows 11 Taskbar
As mentioned above, the new weather widget icon on the taskbar is only available on the latest Windows Insider build 22518. However, I also guide the steps to enable this feature on the stable build because It’s still in A/B testing. You can try this feature out before it’s officially released, and save this post to disable the new weather widget when it launches with the next Windows 11 update.
Force enable weather widget on Taskbar in Windows 11
1. Since the new weather widget isn’t available to everyone yet, you’ll need to use Albacore’s ViveTool to enable it manually. To get started, download the latest ViveTool release fromGitHub.
2. After downloading the ZIP file, right-click on it and select the “Extract All” option.
3. Then, click the “Browse” button to change the destination folder.
4. Go to folder to Windows -> System32 and select “Select Folder”.
5. After selecting the path, click “Extract” to transfer the contents to the destination folder.
6. Now that you have ViveTool set up, press the Windows key once, type “cmd” and click “Run as administrator” on the right menu to run Command Prompt with administrative rights.
7. In the Command Prompt window, paste the following commands individually and wait for the confirmation message. After running all the commands, restart your Windows 11 PC.
vivetool addconfig 36553793 2 vivetool addconfig 36226456 2 vivetool addconfig 36226054 2 vivetool addconfig 34301415 2
8. One last step you should take is to update the Windows web experience pack. To do that, open the Microsoft Store, switch to the “Library” section, and click the “Update” button. In case you don’t see the update, you can install Winget and use the command below to update the package manually.
winget upgrade 9MSSGKG348SP
9. If you have centered the taskbar, you will see a weather widget in the bottom left corner. In case you have moved the taskbar icons to the left, the new weather icon will replace the existing widget icon in the center.
Turn off the Windows 11 weather utility from the Taskbar’s Settings
1. Right-click anywhere on the Taskbar and select “Taskbar settings”.
2. From the Taskbar settings page, turn off the “Widgets” toggle. You will no longer see the weather widget on the Windows 11 taskbar.
Remove Windows 11 Weather Widget Using Windows Settings
1. Another way to remove the weather widget is using the Settings app. Open the Settings app with the Windows 11 keyboard shortcut “Win + I” and navigate to Personalization -> Taskbar.
2. Now you can disable widget toggle to delete Windows 11 widgets.
Uninstall Windows 11 Weather Widget Using Winget
1. If you want to uninstall alternative extensions, you can also do that by uninstalling the Windows web experience pack. First, press the Win key, type “cmd” and run Command Prompt with administrator privileges.
2. Then, run the command below and press Enter to uninstall the Windows Web Experience Pack from your Windows 11 PC. If you want to reinstall the widgets later, you can re-download the package from the Microsoft Store.
winget uninstall "windows web experience pack"