Horses are one of many neutral or passive mobs in Minecraft. Like other mobs of this type that can be used to gather resources or provide food to the player, horses serve their own purpose if the player can tame them.
Raise horses in Minecraft
Horses appear naturally in Minecraft and they come in many different variations. Like chickens, cats, wolves, cows, turtles, etc., horses can be raised. Raise horses on the same principle as other mobs. The only trick is knowing what to feed the horse.
To feed horses in Minecraft, you need to feed them one of the following;
- Gold Apple
- Yellow carrot
Between Apples and Carrots, Apples are much easier to find.
Get Apples in Minecraft
To get apples in Minecraft, you can search for them in chests found in villages, temples, mine shafts. You can also mine them.
- Find oak trees (they are very common)
- Break leaves.
- Keep cracking them and they will eventually drop an apple.
Look for large oaks and you’ll usually get an apple if not more.
Get carrots in Minecraft
Carrots can be found on village farms or in chests at temples, mines, villages, etc. They are most commonly found on village farms though not all farms in the village. Every village has carrots.
It can be hard to find a carrot, but once you’ve found one, you can plant and grow more. Unlike apples, one carrot is enough for you to make your own supply of them.
Earn gold in Minecraft
Regardless of whether you choose to feed your horse a golden apple or a golden carrot, you will need gold. Gold is an ore that occurs underground. To mine gold, you need an iron pickaxe. Gold can be found at levels 2-29.
Make a carrot / golden apple
Ask to create a golden apple or a carrot;
- An apple or carrot
- Eight gold bars
To create a carrot or golden apple;
- Open the crafting panel.
- Place the apple or carrot (whichever you are using) in the middle cell i.e. second cell of the second row.
- Place the gold bar in all the remaining cells.
Raise horses in Minecraft
You should have at least ten golden apples or carrots ready. You can use a combination of both. There’s no rule that says you can only feed it horse apples or only carrots.
- Make sure you have at least two tamed horses.
- Hold a golden apple/carrot in your hand.
- Use place item / use horse action while holding carrot / apple.
- Repeat until you see the heart coming from the horse.
- Repeat for the other horse.
- If all goes well, you will receive the pony.
The hardest part of raising horses is finding gold for the apples/carrots. It can take a few tries with certain types of horses while others are much easier to tame.