When it comes to happiness and success in life, EQ is just as important as IQ. That’s why sometimes you will wonder what your EQ is, and what is a high/low EQ.
1. What is EQ?
Emotional intelligence – or Emotion Quotient (EQ) – is the ability to understand, use, and manage your own emotions in positive ways. The goal is to reduce stress, communicate effectively, empathize with others, overcome challenges, and defuse conflicts.
Emotional intelligence helps you build stronger relationships, succeed in school and work, and achieve your professional and personal goals. It can also help you connect with your emotions.
Emotional intelligence is typically defined by four attributes:
- Self-management – You can manage your emotions and behaviors in healthy ways, be proactive, stick to your commitments, and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Self-Awareness – You recognize your emotions and how they affect your thoughts and behaviour. You know your strengths and weaknesses.
- Social awareness – You have empathy. You can understand the feelings, needs, and concerns of others, pick up on emotional cues, and feel at ease socially.
- Relationship Management – You know how to develop and maintain good relationships, communicate clearly, inspire and influence others, work well in teams and resolve conflicts.
2. How much EQ is high and how much is low?
EQ is usually assessed with the following level:
- EQ from 55-70: very low – about 2.3% of the population.
- EQ from 70-85: low – about 13.6% of the population.
- EQ from 85-115: medium – about 68.2% of the population.
- EQ from 115-130: high – about 13.6% of the population.
- EQ over 130: very high – about 2.2% of the population.
Based on the above information, you can determine what your EQ is after doing EQ tests.
3. Expressions of people with low EQ
In general, low emotional intelligence means you often have trouble:
- Decoding and managing your emotions
- Understand other people’s feelings.
Low EQ can manifest in many different ways. Some manifestations can affect the people around you, so you will feel some challenges in maintaining relationships.
The main symptoms of people with low EQ:
- Difficulty understanding emotional triggers
- Frequent emotional outbursts or mood swings
- Difficulty asserting opinions or taking responsibility in a situation
- Less interested in finding solutions to problems
- Difficulty accepting suggestions, even if they are constructive
- Difficulty expressing ideas clearly or transparently
- Often expressing opinions at the wrong time
- Indifference to emotional signals from others
- Tendency to correct mistakes instead of learning from them and moving on
- Pessimism and loss of motivation after failure
Above, Thuthuatphanmem.vn has revealed to you what is high EQ and low EQ. If you don’t have the desired EQ, don’t worry, because you can absolutely practice to improve EQ!